COVID-19 Journaling Project
You Can Be a Part of History
Now is the opportunity for you to record history as its happening. The Eagle River Historical Society is planning to actively document the impact of COVID-19 on our community. It is the documentation of your experience living during the COVID-19 pandemic and quarantine that will allow the Society to share history with people in future generations.
Every story is important. The Society is seeking individuals and organizations from all walks of life and different backgrounds. Perspectives from a retired couple or school-aged child are just as important as those from front-line health care workers and local businesses. Teachers or supervisors could also make this an engaging group project!
We’re asking you to keep a 30, 60, or 90-day journal in whatever format works best for you. It could be written, recorded on audio or video, photographed or expressed through artwork. How you document your journal is up to you!
Journal entries should provide a summary of your day, and over time document how the pandemic has impacted your life, your family and your perspective of the world. This simple act of recording daily thoughts not only documents the events of the crisis but provides an intimate and captivating window into the experience as it was happening By agreeing to donate your COVID-19 journal, it is understood that the purpose and intent of the gift is to transfer and assign all rights, title, and interest in the journal that you possess to the Eagle River Historical Society. The Historical Society may make discretionary use of the donated materials to include, but not limited to, exhibition, display, publication, digitization for preservation and access purposes, and making materials available for research and scholarship. The Historical Society reserves the right to decline any submission inappropriate for the project.
SUBMIT your electronic journals to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject header: COVID-19 Project.
Paper submissions should be sent to:
Eagle River Historical Society
Eagle River, Wisconsin 54521
How do you express your thoughts? Pick the journal format that works best for you. If not a written journal, maybe it is a daily audio recording or photo project.
Include your personal reactions to the following types of situations:
- Working from home
- Changes to your routine tasks, such as grocery shopping
- The news media reports
- Your own illness or that of a family member
Include what you have been doing to pass the time at home:
- What did you do to stay in good spirits while in quarantine?
- What is your favorite music, movie or television program to stream during a pandemic?
- How did you interact with others without putting them or yourself at risk?
- If you have chosen to ignore the guidelines, what is that like?
Include thoughts about other specific situations during the pandemic:
- What have you struggled with during quarantine?
- If you are a medical care worker, what is it like?
- If you own or manage a business, how did the pandemic impact you?
- If you had to continue working on-site at your job, what changes did you have to make to your workday?
- If you became unemployed, how are you dealing with it?
- How was the pandemic presented to your children?
- How did your children react to being out of school?